Saturday, March 12, 2011

More on Punta Gorda...

Before calling it quits for the day, I wandered about Punta Gorda for another hour and then walked home just prior to sunset.  I had a beer (OK, it might have been three) out on the second floor veranda and marveled at how bright the stars were.  There is nothing like viewing the twinkling stars to make all things in life seem quite puny.  Off in the distance you could see a halo of light from Puerto Barrios, Guatemala and I watched a cruise ship some distance off shore followed by a couple of what I assumed from their size were container ships.  It was a glorious evening to just sit and be alone with my thoughts. 

Sunrise in Punta Gorda
I slept with the windows open and was very comfortable with the ceiling fan providing my AC.  I woke a bit before sunrise to an obnoxious banging sound on the veranda.  I had already begun to awaken as the local roosters had been at it for some time already, but I got up to check out the noise.   It turned out that one of the two house dogs had laid on the mat in front of my door and probably had to scratch, causing the screen door to make a clatter like a wood pecker on steroids.  Since I was awake anyway, I made a pot of coffee and read my email while watching the sun rise on the Eastern horizon.  Elizabeth arrived in a bit with fresh orange juice, wonderful homemade banana bread and fruit for breakfast.  After breakfast I said my good-byes and drove the few blocks to the center of town to see the Wednesday morning market.

Wednesday morning market
The market was on the road closest to the water and was mostly sellers of fruits and vegetables, but there was a Mennonite man selling pots and pans and there were a few other stands selling miscellaneous items like sandals or clothing.  Buses, cars, bicyclists and people on foot competed for room on the narrow street.  In the midst of this two-block long affair were two buildings about eight feet apart… one for the fish mongers and the other for meat sellers.  The fish market had half a dozen or so long tables and there were people cleaning grouper, snapper and a few fish I did not recognize.  One guy had a huge Jew Fish that had to be about four feet long and probably weighed well over 100 pounds.  The meat market had six to eight stalls made of white tile, including the counters. About half the stalls were occupied with various home-butchered meats.  Back out on the street I found a small store and bought a new pair of sandals for $6.00 BZ. 

There was a group of four or five American girls and apparently one had lost an earring as they were searching the pavement for something obviously small.  Very quickly several locals joined in the search.  It didn't hurt that these young ladies were fairly attractive, but nonetheless a willingness to help and the natural friendliness of Belizeans was on full display.

I hit the road around 10:00 am for the approximately two hour drive to Placencia, a destination with many new developments and, from what I have seen on the web, high prices.  The town of Placencia sits on the southern tip of a peninsula.  I'll see if the promises of marinas, club houses and other accoutrements is reality or just marketing hype.

No comments:

Post a Comment